Saturday, 2 February 2013

Job Hunting.. why are you so stressful....

This post is purely for me to vent my frustration with job hunting, I am at that point where I want to get a decent job, that I can focus on, challenge myself and grow with.. This is proving a hell of a lot harder than I originally thought, I know job hunting is hard, I started looking for a job when I was 14/15 and I couldn't find anything, another problem I had was my birthday is the 29th August, so the summer I left school lots of my friends were already 16 and were getting jobs, I was still 15 and unemployable :/ that in itself was annoying, I finally got my first job when I was 16, I did that job for three months, it was only a Saturday job, and if I had that job now, with more hours I would love it, but I don't so .. moving on.. I now work as a Customer Assistant in Marks & Spencer, nothing wrong with working there, but I have been their for over a year and I am now struggling to find the drive to work their anymore, personally for me its not challenging enough, some people get on working in retail, and some people don't and I am just one of those individuals that don't get on with retail. 


I want to branch out into a decent job, that challenges me, focuses my mind, and has me pumping with adrenaline through deadlines, but trying to find that is SO hard, I don't really know what sector of work I want to go into, but I know a few I would like to be in: PR, Social Media, Administration etc but what I am struggling with, is getting into these companies, I have a great set of GCSE's under my belt and I have ridiculous amounts of customer service experience/skills but every company seems to want people that already have experience in the job your going for.. how are we meant to get experience if they only want experienced people.. I  really don't understand what else I can do.. I am applying to every job possible that has an interest in what I would like to do, I have even resulted in applying for jobs in the towns outside of where I live, and even in London.
I could really use some advice, I know I am lucky to have a job with the way the unemployment in 18-24year olds is, but anyone is in the same position as me, or has been in the same position as me, or even knows someone who is or has been, I would really appreciate your advice, either leave a comment, or your more than welcome to email me on blonde.rebecca@hotmail.com if you don't to just leave it as a comment.


Rebecca xo

Twitter.. Instagram - rebeccajane1994 .. Tumblr.. WeHeartIt.. Pinterest.. 


7 comments:

  1. Hi Rebecca,

    Thanks for checking out my blog and leaving a comment.

    It's so hard to find a job out there at the moment and I agree that the 'you have to already have experience' issue is very frustrating!! Have you thought about doing an internship or placement in the industries you're thinking of getting in it? This would give you a taster and also add to your work experience, although it could be unpaid.

    Also, have you tried going through a recruitment agency rather than applying directly to firms?

    Good luck with your job hunting!!!

    Kimberley x

    http://kimberley77.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kimberley,
      Thats what I am looking at now internships, and also recruitment agencies :) seeing what I can find going down those avenues as well .

      Thank you :)

      Rebecca xo

      Delete
  2. I totally agree.. Stress-city x

    check out my cath kidston giveaway 1stepclosereveryday.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 100% Stress City..
      checked out your give away, and entered :)

      Rebecca xo

      Delete
  3. Hi, I can see how annoying that would be. That's the most annoying thing, the fact that jobs ask for experience but where can you get the experience from at a starter age! Where is your location? If you're in London especially, a lot of companies do "entry level" roles or entry level schemes. I myself am doing an A Level entrant job with a bank. You could look into apprenticeships- although not the best pay it gives you fab experience. My friend done an apprenticeship in Stratford with a social media company and this enabled her to get a job with another company a year later. You could try speaking with Connexions service or visit Apprenticeship.co.uk (website's called something like that) or type into google School Leaver jobs in PR or media or etc- whichever you want x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and this may be helpful: http://www.thebigchoice.com/School_College_Leavers

      Delete
    2. Hello, thank you for all your advice, I really appreciate it, I am from Wiltshire, so London is only an hour away on the train, so I am looking at placements/jobs there too as I would be willing to commute on the train. I am already logged into the apprenticeships website so I do keep checking on there :) I shall go onto the big choice website now, thank you once again :) your advice has been so useful.

      Rebecca xo

      Delete